Oslob is a coastal town in the southern part of the Queen City of the South, Cebu City. It is popularly known for its whale shark activity where you can swim up close with the whale sharks, or take a photo together with these gentle giants in the ocean. It’s a must visit in the south, along with Kawasan Falls in Badian and Moalboal. It’s also a popular day trip from Cebu City for all tourists.
Whale Shark Watching in Tan-awan
Oslob is famously known for its whale sharks. You get to ride a pump or motor boat to an area where you can see the whale sharks up close. Sightings are guaranteed all year round and it’s the best thing for those who are looking to experience swimming with the whale sharks.
The Oslob whale shark activity is located in Barangay Tan-Awan. Once you get here, you can find resorts offering boat tours to the whale shark area. The activity starts with an orientation where you will be reminded (1) to not touch the whale sharks and (2) to avoid wearing sunscreen.
Things to remember:
- The activity starts from 5:30AM to 12 noon only. It’s best to get in the wharf early in the morning before the current gets strong.
- The activity is good for 30 minutes only.
- Bring an action camera. If you don’t have any, you can rent one with a CD copy for P550.
Getting to Oslob
There are different ways to get to Oslob and in this, we are only going to cover on how to get there from Cebu City.
From Cebu City
- From Cebu South Bus Terminal, ride a bus to Bato via Lilo-an (P155 per person) and it’s a 3 hours ride. Inform the driver to drop you off at the whale shark watching site or resort you’re heading to.
- Alternatively, you can also ride a van (P150 per person) at the GT Express Terminal along Junquera Street and it’s a 2.5 hours ride. Get off at Oslob town proper and then ride a tricycle or habal-habal to the whale shark watching site